William Lewis Connelly, a pioneering settler, established Happy Home around 1838 with his wife, Elizabeth Moore Connelly. As a Captain in the NC State Militia, he led his regiment under General Winfield Scott’s orders to negotiate the Cherokee removal, known as "The Trail of Tears." Rising to the rank of Colonel, Connelly later operated a way station between Salisbury and Asheville. The Connelly home, midway on this route, provided respite for travelers and housed the local post office. As the threat of Indian attacks waned, Happy Home flourished with the arrival of other pioneer families like the Fin-Cannon, Cook, and Morgan families.
The advent of the railroad attracted many families to the settlement, transforming it into a thriving village. Among the early railroading families were the Goode, Huffman, Abernathy, Coulter, Hudson, Sides, Tomlinson, Decker, Deal, Dean, Davis, Ennis, Hood, McLean, Abee, Moose, Mingus, Page, Shook, Stirewalt, Simpson, Setzer, Young, Perkins, Lail, and Zimmerman families. Some of these families’ descendants still live in the area today.
In the early 1860s, Colonel Connelly’s son, William Waitsel, operated a store in Happy Home, serving as both the town merchant and postmaster, with the post office housed within his general merchandise store. In 1861, William Waitsel married Elmira Franklin. The couple built their home near the village store and the bustling railroad, where they raised their family.
Mrs. Elmira Connelly washed her family’s clothes using water from a spring on their property, which gave the white garments a yellowish tint. Curious about the cause, she had the water tested in 1885 by Mr. W. H. Taylor, the State Chemist of Virginia. Mr. Taylor’s analysis revealed that the water contained a high concentration of bicarbonate of iron (130 grains per gallon) and could potentially heal a variety of diseases.
News of the mineral springs quickly spread, attracting visitors to Happy Home to drink the reputedly healing water. Some arrived by horse and wagon, transporting the water in five-gallon demijohns, while others traveled by train from distant locations.
The popularity of the mineral water led to the construction of the Connelly Mineral Springs Hotel, built 1886-87 by the Maroney brothers from Salisbury. This large, 50-room hotel was situated beside the railroad tracks and near the crystal-clear mineral spring discovered by Mrs. Connelly. The town soon became a summer resort, attracting guests from distant places who arrived by train. The hotel promoted the mineral water in its brochures:
“THERE IS NO BETTER WATER TO BE FOUND FOR MANY DISEASES THAN THAT OF THE CONNELLY MINERAL SPRINGS. THE EFFECT OF THE WATER IS STRONGLY DIURETIC AND TONIC, PRODUCING A VORACIOUS APPETITE, STIMULATING DIGESTION, AND STRENGTHENING THE NERVOUS SYSTEM.”
Visitors could also stay at other accommodations such as the Sides Boarding House, the Connelly Springs Inn, and the Haliburton Hotel.
As the town grew, Main Street became a bustling hub featuring two general merchandise stores, a barber shop, a bank, a furniture store, and a blacksmith shop. Several industries emerged, including a cotton mill, gristmill, sawmill, furniture and wagon shop, glove factory, and pottery. Residents had access to a doctor, a dentist, and a drugstore on Main Street. With the advent of the automobile, a filling station was established on the main road into town, providing gasoline for residents and travelers.
The village was served by two churches, the Methodist Church and First Baptist Church, while many other churches dotted the rural landscape. Education, alongside religious teaching, was highly valued. In 1915, a one-room schoolhouse operated in the village. After it closed, students attended elementary school in Rutherford College and later high school in Valdese. The close-knit African American community in the Shady Grove area was served by a small one-room schoolhouse located behind Israel Chapel.
On May 4, 1920, the village of Connelly Springs was incorporated as "The Town of Connelly Springs," and laws and ordinances were enacted. John Ellis Coulter was elected Mayor with 54 votes. The elected Aldermen were R.D. Coulter, R.R. Ennis, W.T. McGalliard, D.P. Hudson, and R.E. Loven. J.G. Aiken was appointed as the secretary-treasurer. The town established business licenses for all merchants and imposed a personal property tax. The depot waiting room served as the meeting room, courtroom, and town government center, where many trials were heard, and Mayor Coulter also served as the judge.
However, over the years, merchants and residents began to view the town government as an unnecessary imposition and preferred to operate without licenses and property taxes. Lacking support, the town government weakened, and on April 7, 1930, the Charter of the Town of Connelly Springs was repealed.
The downturn of the once-thriving town was due to several factors, including the Great Depression and the closure of People's Bank in May 1927, as well as the rise of the automobile era. The arrival of the automobile changed travel routes and bypassed Main Street, further contributing to the town’s decline.
Vacationers began favoring Asheville and other destinations, leading to a loss of popularity for the once-famous hotel. During World War II, the hotel was left vacant and eventually dismantled. Over time, the buildings on Main Street stood empty, except for Lindy’s Furniture Store. The town transitioned into a bedroom community, with residents working in textile and furniture manufacturing facilities in neighboring towns.
Re-incorporation efforts for the Town of Connelly Springs began in the 1980s under the direction of long-time resident Dennis W. Tomlinson. The majority of Connelly Springs residents aimed to preserve the history and heritage of their once-famous vacation resort and prevent annexation by surrounding municipalities. Several town meetings were held to discuss re-incorporation. In April 1989, residents traveled to Raleigh to present their case before the Local Government Committee of the North Carolina General Assembly. Their efforts were supported by Republican Senator Dan Simpson of Burke County.
On September 5, 1989, the North Carolina State Legislature approved a charter for the re-incorporation of Connelly Springs.